Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Special Blog Assignment

A world where grades will be left behind.
 Sebastian Thrun,Google vice president and Stanford research professor.
This USA TODAY article written by Mary Beth Markleing is how Sebastian Trun views the education system changing where grades will become a thing of the past..  Sebastian Trun, a VP of Google and Stanford research professor is seeking to revolutionize the education system as we know it.  He has created Udacity in California where he wants the college education to be FREE and fun and where grades are not given. He thinks that grades should not be assigned and classes should be online and more like video games.  I think that we should ask Who is going to fund this education system?  I know he said it will be free, but the program must be funded somehow.  I am a college student and my most expensive class is my online class.  I want to know what happens to the structure and discipline that comes from  in the classroom?  What happens to meeting standards and having that competition with the person next to you?  I was always told to work hard and make good grades because employers are going to look at the degree, but given the choice between someone who made all C's and someone who made all A's the employer will probably pick the one who made all A's because it will most likely reflect their work ethic.

I think that we need to have great teachers in the classroom and earning grades are important values that are taught.  If it were easy to get a college education with a degree then everyone would have one.  It takes a lot of hard work and determination to succeed.  I do not feel that you can be prepared for a physical struggle if you only read about self defense online.  It takes so much more than that, it takes strength and skills that are learned through physical experience not through an online course. As a teacher, I do not want to give grades based on written exams alone.  I want students to get involved with hands on projects and experiments, be responsible for studying and completing homework.  I do not want my students to be overwhelmed and consumed with assignments at home, but just enough to teach them that they have to work for success.

I have not become a fan of the "flipped" classroom.  The thought of my children coming home and watching videos all night, then going to school the next day to do homework is horrible!  Let kids be kids, not robots.  From a college level standpoint, I do not like watching podcast and then going to class to be quizzed.  The point of having a college professor is for theprofessor to be there in class to teach me and to have those class discussions. I think a lot can be learned that way.  Who are the educators?  Is it just a computer program in a closet somewhere?  I want to go to class meet with an instructor and not look at a computer 24/7.  Everyone learns in different ways and that is just not my way of learning.

It made me laugh to think that someone could compare a children's video game to the same as taking college physics.  REALLY???  Have you taken college physics because I have and I worked my butt off for an "A" but I did it!  I didn't want a "B" I wanted an "A" because that was the highest level of success.  All of this talk about playing games and getting things for free makes me think of the welfare program in this country.  This cheap education program sounds great, but as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for."    

No comments:

Post a Comment